Strong vaginal odor is quite a common problem and is experienced by majority of women. Mild odor is nothing to worry about; however, if the smell is strong and offensive then there could be various reasons for it. Get yourself checked for infection of the vagina. In most cases foul smelling vagina is due to bacterial or yeast infection. If you don’t have infection and want to get rid of the vaginal smell then there are a few simple home remedies that you could follow. DO NOT try these remedies if you detect any sign of infection. It is important to get treated for the infection first.
Home Remedies For Reducing Feminine Odor
1. Keep the vaginal area clean at all times. The vagina must be washed with anti-bacterial soap and lukewarm water at least twice a day and after every bowel movement. There are commercially available vaginal washes which do not disturb the ph environment of the vagina. Any irregularity in the ph environment inside the vagina can cause infections. You must wash the vagina at least four times daily during periods.
2. Douching the vagina is not recommended. Douching can push the bacteria present in the vagina into the uterus resulting in pelvic inflammatory disease or PID. An effective alternative to douching is taking salt-vinegar bath. Fill a bath tub with lukewarm water, one cup sea salt and one cup white vinegar 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar.
Remain in this bath soak for 15-20 minutes. Open your legs. Under no circumstances should you use strong fragranced soaps, oils and washes for cleaning the vagina. The chemicals present in these soaps can cause harmful infections.
3. Every woman is tempted to slip into silk and satin underwear because they feel so nice on the skin. However, they also increase the occurrence of vaginal odor as they trap the smell of sweat, white discharge and urine in them.
Since they are closely-knit fabrics, they don’t let in air making it impossible for the skin to breathe. Cotton underwear might not be tempting enough but they prevent infection by keeping the genitals dry at all times. Cotton absorbs the moisture from the skin and prevents offensive odor. So keep those silks and satin for special occasion.
4. If you tend to perspire a lot then sprinkle some cornstarch powder over your genitals and inside your underwear. Use brown cornstarch in place of white cornstarch powder. The powder is excellent for keeping the skin dry as it absorbs the moisture from the skin. Dry skin tends to smell and get infected less.
5. Wear underwear of your size. Don’t try to fit into smaller sizes as it could lead to sweating and foul smell.
6. To reduce the vaginal odor during menstruation you must change your tampon or sanitary pad regularly. If you tend to bleed heavily then change every couple of hours. It will also help you avoid infection. Use baby wipes to clean yourself during menstruation. Baby wipes are mildly fragranced and are treated with very few chemicals.
Hence they are safe to use. You could also try pouring a few drops of rose hip essential oil or lavender essential oil on the back of your sanitary pad. The strong aromatic smells of the essential oils will effectively mask the foul odor of blood.
7. Maintain vaginal hygiene by keeping the pubic hair trimmed at all times. Many women opt for bikini waxing these days to get rid of the pubic hair. However, this can be quite painful so you could try other alternatives like using depilatory creams or shaving the pubic region. Sweat and urine get trapped in the hair and give out an offensive smell.
8. Some women tend to secrete more vaginal discharge which is very normal though it does lead to strong vaginal smell. Use panty liners to take care of the problem effectively. The panty liners can be treated with a few drops of essential oils before use. Change the panty liners after every six hours. Panty liners will prevent the underwear from turning wet and smelly.
9. Take cotton ball and dip it in a solution of apple cider vinegar. Squeeze the cotton lightly and wrap it in medicated gauze. Insert the gauze inside by keeping a part of it hanging from outside the vagina. Let the gauze remain in the vagina for 15-20 minutes
Apple cider vinegar will give you fresh and nice smell by removing the odor causing bacteria. This treatment can be done a few minutes before having sex especially if your partner finds your vaginal smell too strong.
10. Take a cinnamon stick and two cardamoms. Roast the cinnamon stick and cardamom. Wrap them tightly in medicated gauze and insert them inside the vagina. Remove them after 20 minutes and throw the cinnamon and cardamoms. Repeat the treatment three times a day to keep your vagina from giving our foul odor.
11. Wash your vagina with lavender essential oil solution. Combine two tablespoons of lavender essential oil with 200ml water. Use this solution to rinse the vaginal area. The mild fragrance of lavender oil will help you treat the problem of vaginal odor. You could use tea tree essential oil in place of essential oil if you suspect vaginal infection.
12. Do not wear underwear for more than 12 hours a day. If you have to then change underwear after 12 hours. Try sleeping without your underwear on as this would allow the skin to breathe properly.
13. After washing the vagina use hair dryer set on ‘cool’ to dry the skin properly. Moisture on the skin is an invitation to the infection causing bacteria to breed.
14. Wash your underwear in hot water to get rid of any bacteria on the fabric. Soak the cloth in hot water for 15 minutes before cleaning it with soap. Rinse the underwear thoroughly with clean water after using detergent or cleaning soap. Any traces of chemicals on the underwear can cause infection. These various treatments for vaginal odor should be considered only after getting rid of bacterial or fungal infections in the vagina.